Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I have the newest Facebook ver 3.1.4. I noticed yesteday that when I open the Facebook app, it doesnt auto update anymore. I uninstalled and reinstalled. The 1st opening of the new installed app updated automatically, but the 2nd opening and so on does not auto update.

I went through the settings and do not see any setting for this.
Anyone know how to fix this?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
same here. I'm guessing they did something wrong when implementing the 'saving state' for OS4 compatibility.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
The problem is that previously it updated when the app relaunched it refreshed your feed. Now it doesn't relaunch it resumes its previously saved state, so now it doesn't auto refresh. Many apps need to fix this in their apps.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Yeah, this sort of defeats the purpose of quick-launch in my opinion. And you also have to manually click and check your notifications for them to reload. And even before the update, push notifications haven't been very reliable. Sometimes they'll come in, but sometimes they won't.

jdwebby

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
It's because with multitasking setup now, the facebook program is running in the background. So everytime u open it chances are it was always open. Facebook can fix this by only letting certain features run when in standby state. Its not broken its just running different from previous OS version without multitasking.

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
It's because with multitasking setup now, the facebook program is running in the background. So everytime u open it chances are it was always open. Facebook can fix this by only letting certain features run when in standby state. Its not broken its just running different from previous OS version without multitasking.

It's not running in the background.

All Facebook has to do is have it refresh when you haven't opened it for 5-10 minutes and automatically check for notifications every time it's opened.

zoomzoomed

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Shake it!

As long as you have it in your settings..Shake it! Shake the phone. God forbid you're auto updates don't work!

css1323

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
I don't think this is a "problem".

It's just the iPhone's multitasking at work. I kind of like not having the Facebook update everytime I check out the News Feed. It lets me take my time when viewing different posts.

I wonder if Facebook could implement the same pull-down refresh tab that's found in the official Twitter app? I love that nifty little feature, much nicer than touching on a refresh button.

djgulia

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I noticed this on my iphone 4 but it doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me more, is that I'm not getting notifications. I log into my account on the computer and I have a bunch of notifications from earlier in the day that I didn't know about.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
All this can be fixed but only from FB's development side. I'm guessing this will take 3 months before a fix comes out and breaks some other feature :p

poose22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
I noticed this on my iphone 4 but it doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me more, is that I'm not getting notifications. I log into my account on the computer and I have a bunch of notifications from earlier in the day that I didn't know about.

ive noticed that too. I run the app on my iphone a good amount of time and notifications never pop up on the bottom of the app like they used to. I usually now just manually click the notifications bar at the bottom and let it load and i look and see if there's anything new. kind of annoying. that, and the fact that the app doesn't refresh automatically anymore unless it's not running in the recent apps menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.